Thursday, January 14, 2010

American Idol: Season 9 ATLANTA

Welp, last night was Hotlanta. I went to Atlanta once. Downtown Atlanta is the scariest place I've ever been in my life. I have walked around downtown Los Angeles in a mini skirt at 1am, I have roamed the streets of New York City as a 15 year old, yet I have never been more scared than I was visiting the ATL just a few years ago. Its dirty, trashy, there were tons of alleys and crevaces to get lost in, and the only halfway presentable place was the Olympic centennial park. I don't want to know what that city looked like before the Olympics graciously celebrated there.

I was pretty excited about the Atlanta auditions. One of my favorite artists of all time, Mary J Blige, was the guest judge, and I was ready for some awesome soul singing. I conveniently forgot that the Atlanta regional auditions also mean all the country folk from the surrounding states hitch up their wagons and come to sing Loretta Lynn and Garth Brooks.

There was one INCREDIBLE R&B singer. His look reminded me of Pharrell, but he sang like Usher meets John Legend, Brian McKnight, or one of Usher's more mature counterparts. I'll be rooting for him for sure.

Then, there was precious Vanessa from Vanore. She sang one of my favorite songs of all time, "Wagonwheel" by Old Crow Medicine Show, and was SO completely nervous. If you didn't get to see her, please youtube her audition and her interview. She has a very distinct voice, not necessarily great, but she has an amazing story; someone you really want to root for. I cried when they told her she was going to Hollywood. I'm excited to see how she'll transform.

Unless you've been living under a rock today, I'm sure you've heard about the General. He was obviously too old to audition, but the crew and Ryan ended up loving him and invited him to sing his song for the judges. Youtube "Pants on the ground" and prepare to see Mary J laugh more than you've ever seen a black woman laugh in your life.

Now, I love the my Blige, but why the long face, girl? She looked so extremely bored during ALL of the auditions. I think she was disappointed because she had the same expectation for Atlanta I did: R&B/hip hop voices!

There were many more good ones in Atlanta than Boston. Some were downright great. That police officer towards the end? He reminds me a bit of Michael Carver, but better. And not as scary looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get your comment on!