Wednesday, January 13, 2010

American Idol: Season 9 BOSTON

Oh boy. Its that time of year again. American Idol season is like freakin Christmas in my eyes. I was BLASTING Adam Lambert in the car yesterday night as a kick off in honor of this momentus season. I know I'm one night late, but I was contemplating if I really should create a sounding board for myself this season. I always say I will and then never do, and as the seasons go on, I wish I had some place to voice my emotions. Yesterday, after I freaked out to my boyfriend about open call Glee auditions, (and proceeded to sing him my whole repertoire) he mentioned during the show that he liked to hear my critique of the people and the show. That may have been a good thing to say, or a bad thing. But its a good excuse, so, on that note, now I will begin the tradition.

I'm a bit worried about this season. I feel like the American Idol run is coming to a close, and I need to take it all in. With the departure of Paula, and the imminent departure of Simon, I fear this may be the last good season. We shall see. In the mean time, I stay glued to my dvr.

Its only been one audition city and I've already seen the most adorable Irishman that I'm going to swoon after all season. His name is Luke. He has red hair and the most perfect, dainty, Irish slant nose you've ever seen. Not the best vocals ever, but he has this alternative vibe going on. He's my American Idol so far.

They decided to litter this first audition episode in Boston with both heartwarming and cliche stories of trying moments in people's lives. There was one dude who battled cancer, there was one girl who was 1 of 9 children, 3 of whom are Down's boys (adorable). And then, there were the stories that they were fishing for: The 16 year old who is "really really close" to her alzheimers grandma. Who has a voice that we've all heard before. The 16 year old who sounds like LeighAnn Rimes. ZZzzz. Boring. Been there, done that, time for a new breed. And I'm sick of the black girls who sound like all the typical gospel singing, Jennifer Hudson worshipping black girls. Where are the Lauren Hills or the Corine Bailey Raes? Come on people.

And of course, my least favorite part of the show, all the rejects. I feel so bad for those people. Plus, they take up the minutes that I could be watching all the people who ACTUALLY got a ticket to Hollywood! At the end of every audition episode Ryan always says, "and {insert number} hopefuls get their golden ticket to Hollywood" and they flash through everyone yelling, jumping and crying for 15 seconds, and half of them you didn't see audition at all. Instead I had to watch some serious Bostonian ("wicked awesome") with a short shirt and ugly gut try to sing Pocket Full of Sunshine.

There weren't very many stand outs to me in Boston. Besides Ginger Luke. The girl with 3 Down's Syndrome brothers was sweet, but not an amazing voice. There was one girl who was REALLY good (wearing glasses, shorter, wavy hair) but they didn't show a lot of her audition! Ugh. I can't wait until Hollywood week where the emphasis is talent. And can I be frank for a second? That serial killer dude with the hipster glasses was actually, really good. Too bad he was a complete dick.

I will be blogging every episode! Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. YES MA'AM. I actually watched part of it. I know, I know. Miracle. The weird guy that was actually good but pissed everyone off was my fav. So sad that he's so weird because I actually really liked his voice. Can't wait to read more of what you have to say!

    ReplyDelete

Get your comment on!